Sunday 19 February 2017

The Readers Den Weekly Wrap Up #4

Hi everyone, with Rachel and I's crazy work schedules, we miss sharing whats going on with us. We used to have a lot of fun with our Showcase Sunday posts, so thought we'd do something regular on the blog, where we share bookish news and life news in general as a weekly recap!

WHAT I READ/REVIEWED


Jasprit 
(Click on Book for Goodreads link).


A  bit of a mixed reading week for me again this week, I'm re-reading Paula Weston's Rephaim series with Ari from Reading After Midnight and honestly I'm loving the heck out of it. I've made a start on Haze already too! Paris for One was also a delight to read, some of the stories I wished I got more of. And F*ck Love was such a disappointment, I had such high hopes for this book, but not only did the story let me down, but also the narrator did too. 


Rachel:
 (Click on title for Goodreads link)


Loved A Darkness Absolute! Therese Plummer is one of my favorite narrators which made the story even better! Live to Tell by Lisa Gardner is a re-read by audio, another total recommend! Undecided was amazing! I couldn't put the book down! I thought I would love Win Some, Lose Some more, but it was still good.

BOOKS RECEIVED 

Jasprit 
(Click on Book for Goodreads link).

  
I've heard the best things about The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, so I can't wait to get stuck into it! And Love Story and Undeclared have been high on my wish list, so here's hoping they live up to my expectations :/


Rachel:
(Click on title for Goodreads link)


I'm currently reading Undeclared with Jasprit.  So far I don't like it as much as Undecided and I think most of that comes down to Kellan, Crosbie's best friend.  I thought he was a jerk in the first book, and it's taken a while for me to change my opinion.  We'll see how it all turns out.  The Skeletons of Scarborough House sounds like a fun mystery. A GRs friend reviewed and loved the story so I couldn't resist getting a copy. I love K.A. Tucker's writing so I'm looking forward to Until It Fades.



NEW TO MY TBR

Jasprit 
(Click on Book for Goodreads link).


None for me this week, which makes a change, hopefully this will give me the chance to catch up with all the books! 


Rachel:
(Click on Book for Goodreads link)


After reading Heidi @Rainy Day Ramblings review and finding out Luke Daniels narrates The Rising I requested a library audio copy. Just downloaded it on my phone yesterday.  Not looking forward to the cliffy, though.  Never Let You Go was another book I added because of a GRs friend's review.  I do love twists that surprise me so I requested a copy we'll see if I get it. I love Sandra Brown's books so even though there's no book description it went into the TBR.



WHAT WE'RE WATCHING

Jasprit 



I finally started The Flash this week, everyone I know has been harping on about it to me, I've only been able to watch five episodes this week and although its been a bit slow for me so far, everyone keeps saying it will only get better! And I'm also done with Season 2 of Ugly Betty, there's so much that I've forgotten since the first time I watched it, so it definitely has been a lot of fun!

Rachel:

I haven't been watching TV much, but when I do it's always Doc Martin. Yes, I realize I'm a broken record here, but I'm watching the series straight through and they're are several seasons! Plus, I'm usually reading instead, lol!



EVENTS OF THE WEEK

Jasprit:

Allie finally made a trip up north as she would say to see me, it was a lot of fun trying to find all the Vegan places that we could visit. My favourite places we ended up visiting were Stonebaked Pizza (I nearly finished my entire pizza) and Cocoa Amore where they had the best hot chocolates. We then ended the day watching Me Before You and scoffing all the chocolates!



Rachel:

It's been raining cats and dogs so going out has been tough.  

 Finally getting some sunshine:


I really had no motivation to go out, so other than work and reading, my husband and I made dinner for our extended family: BBQ'd Tri Tip, Mashed Potatoes with tons of cream, butter, and bacon, and Garlic Parmesan Roasted Carrots, a recipe I got from Pinterest.  The mashed potatoes were soooo good, but the carrots stole the show.  I know, really fattening, but sometimes you have to splurge! 

For a healthier dinner I did make this:


 I browned sliced chicken in a little butter, salt, pepper, and lemon juice first, set aside, and then
added tons of vegetables (onions, carrots, zucchini, mushrooms) for a stir fry. I used some butter, but kept it at a minimum by using soy sauce marinated with a good amount of minced ginger (love ginger!) and a little bit of lemon juice, salt and pepper. 


How was your week?

11 comments:

Nick said...

Jasprit, you're making me want to re-read Paula Weston's series again even though I did just binge-read them in September. Sorry to hear about F*ck Love. I haven't read anything by this author before, but I've heard good things about her. I'll make sure to start with another book of hers.

I'll be waiting for your review of Evelyn Hugo. It sounds very different from her other books so I didn't request it and have decided to wait and see what friends think of it first. I liked Undeclared okay, but it didn't live up to the first book for me. There was just something missing from the story.

I need to catch up on the Flash. I really enjoyed the first two seasons, but haven't watched the third yet. I hope you'll enjoy it more as the season progresses.

That pizza sounds and looks amazing! And hot chocolate. I'm totally craving one now. :)

Rachel, I've been seeing Kelley Armstrong's series a lot around lately and everyone has been praising it, so I need to read the books myself. I'm so glad you liked Undecided. It was such a fun book.

I saw you were reading Undeclared and can't wait to hear your thoughts. I unfortunately didn't love it as much as the first because of Kellan too. I'm really excited for the KA Tucker book! It sounds like she went back to her romance roots which I'm happy about since her mystery was ehh for me.

Yum both of your dinners sound amazing. I love a good stir fry myself and love that it's so easy to make.

Have a great week, ladies and happy reading!

Joy said...

While my work hasn't been all that crazy since working at my new job, I've been distracted by a lot of outside factors totally not work or home related. So I can relate. Totes.

I'm disappointed to see that Undecided is not available in audio. Would love to listen to that one while working. LOL. I do need to download a Kindle copy, though. It's been widely recommended by a lot of people!

Have a great week, ladies! Enjoy your reads/listens this week!

Kindlemom said...

So happy you loved A Darkness Absolute as well, I am really loving the series so far. Congrats on all the books you got and read!

Grace @ RebelMommyBookBlog said...

I have F*ck Love and have put it off. All of her books always sounds great but I haven't loved any of them yet. I just got Undeclared and can't wait to get to it although everyone has said it is meh. Hope you enjoy all your new books and have a great week!

Ksenia said...

Jasprit, I reread Keertana’s review on Burn when I was writing my post about binge-reading series, and it made me want to finally read this series. Happy rereading! Sorry to hear F*ck Love was a disappointment. I’ve seen some mixed reviews on Love Story and Undeclared, looking forward to your thoughts. PS. I’m still too afraid to watch Me Before You, I loved the books so much.

Rachel, I’m so happy you enjoyed Undecided! I haven’t heard about Until It Fades, I’ve read the blurb and it sounds very promising. Please, let me know if it’s good. OMG new Sandra Brown!? How come I haven’t heard about it?! Thanks so much for putting it on my radar! I don’t need cover/blurb either.

Blodeuedd said...

I never did see how Ugly Betty ended :/

Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings said...

I hear you on the rain, we have gotten another dousing this past week after a few sunny days. At least it's not snowing. I am listening to Absolute Darkness right now and loving it so much more than the first book. I hope you like The Rising, Rachel. I know I enjoyed it way more on audio than I would have if I had listened to it. Jasprit, I am happy to hear you enjoyed JoJo Moyes book. I liked it as well. Hope you two have a lovely week ahead.

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Jasprit: I'm glad Allie was able to visit you and that you had such a fun time. I think chocolates are definitely necessary when watching Me Before You.

Rachel: I hope the rain is done for a bit! I've had good weather the past few days, but I think we're getting a lot of storms later in the week. Sigh.

-Lauren

Alyssa said...

I've not read any Paula Weston before, but I've seen such good things about that series! Sometimes rereads are exactly what you need. Rachel, I'm SO glad you loved Undecided! It was one of my favorites last year. I have Undeclared but I've not read it yet... I already know I won't love it as much as I loved Undecided, because of the second-chance romance (I'm not the biggest fan of those). But I love so many of Keyes's books, so I'm hoping she'll surprise me.

Ladies, I hope you both have a fantastic week, with lots of yummy food and sunshine! =)

Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

Carina Olsen said...

Sounds like you both had such an awesome week :D Thank you for sharing about it girls. <3 I haven't read any of these books, but they do all look awesome :) Happy reading. <3

Sara @ Forever 17 Books said...

I LOVED Undecided too! I just grabbed the sequel and look forward to checking it out. I've only read Shadows and none others in that series yet for some reason. Definitely need to get back into that world!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...